Friday, July 23, 2010

Cyberbullying

Cyberbullying is a form of harassment that occurs online. Students can inflict emotional harm on each other through malicious online messages. When I was in high school I frequented several sites where insults were hurled anonymously from different online users. I was never personally involved in these activities but I did have friends who sent insulting messages to each other over instant messaging.

One of the biggest challenges schools face when it comes to cyberbullying is how to regulate it. It is very difficult to find out who sent a message online because they can remain anonymous. Schools are also faced with the legal dillemma of how to enforce rules against cyberbullying. Cyberbullying often takes place on home computers so schools are faced with the question of how much authority they have to intervene in those situations.

Students that are being cyberbullied will show emotional signs. They are often depressed or distant. If you notice a sudden change in behavior it is quite possible that a student is being bullied. Schools have a responsibility to care for the emotional well being of students. If that means intervening in bullying that was initiated off campus but the effects continue on campus then school officials should intervene. Bullying in any form should never be tollerated.

I will have a zero tollerance policy of cyberbullying and any other form of bullying in my classroom. Students need to know that their actions can hurt others in ways they hadn't anticipated. My policy will be pre-emptive so that students know what I expect of them and it will be reactive because I will hold them to those expectations. I will address issues of common courtesty and respect to the whole class and when those expectations are not met by individuals, I will address them individually. I think rules against cyberbullying should be school-wide, but I will do my part to address cyberbullying in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment